Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Popular Romance & Forbidden

The character I would like to focus on is...drum roll please...Eddy!

Eddy conforms to a few gender norms, but I feel like it's mostly because in that era, being a WoC she didn't really have another choice. So as far as work goes, she typically does cleaning and cooking. She does challenge the norms when it comes to her relationship with Rhine because he wants to take care of her and baby her. Rather than being a weak woman who needs a mans help, she challenges herself to do with without him, proving that she does not need a man to help her.

I don't feel like her gender performance impacts her love life. She is a woman who does have some of the traits of a typical "housewife" but she also is strong willed and is able to survive on her own. If anything, maybe that helps her? It makes her more appealing to Rhine.

All in all, I found this book to be not as bad as I was expecting it to be. I had never read an actual romance before, and I would consider reading another one in the future.

3 comments:

  1. It does impact who she's with and what kind of relationship she has with Rhine and the future that she makes for herself as a whole, so I wouldn't say that it has no impact at all in her relationships, because it very much does

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise an important question--does Eddy's non-traditional gender role help her romantically? What is it that Rhine seems to most like about her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that you also pointed out that she does fulfill some of the gender roles a very good idea. It really shows her contrast.

    ReplyDelete