Sunday, October 1, 2017

Boy clothes and Girl Clothes...

When I walk into a store this weekend I went to the baby section, which was hard to find since I never really had a reason of going there before. Once I got there I looked at both the girl section and the boy section and what I noticed first was the color differences. The girl section the colors where different shades of pink. There were soft pinks, and bright pinks and splashes of purple. What immediately caught my eyes in the boy section was how many shirt the boy section had with words written on them. One shirt really caught my eye which was a shirt that said "lets play". When I went back to the girl section I was looking for a girl shirt that specifically said something about playing and I couldn't find one. And it made me think, why is it assumed that boy are more active as children then girls are. I myself was a very active child and loved playing outside. Also lots of the boy shirts had sport equipment on them. Such as a footballs and a baseball. The message I got from the experience was that boys are way more active and more likely to play sport then girls. I couldn't even figure out what the girl section was trying to point out until my younger sister pointed out something that I really didn't notice. She pointed out how the boys clothes look more practical for outside play and the girl clothes looked more like something you would wear if you were planning on staying inside and just wanted to sit around looking pretty. Which she had a point. The girl clothes weren't clothes that were very practical for outside playing. Which I guess in my mind enforces the idea that girl aren't suppose to be running around and rough housing like boy are. It was kind of surprising to see that stereotype being implied at such a young age of a child's life.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think they portray boys as being more active is because of males dominating professional sports?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an interesting point you make in considering the message that children’s apparel is sending regarding gender norms and expectations. Young boys are influenced to have a taste in sports and outdoor play, while girls are encouraged to keep their nice outfits clean while paying house and with dolls. The images and words on clothing can influence our idea of a masculine or feminine way of dressing. I’m sure there were no girls tops with a superhero, or a boy’s shirt with the famous Frozen’s Elsa or Ana. These words and images on clothing set expectations of a gender’s role in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raise important points about how boy clothes are often more practical for playing, and how they also send more active messages based on what is depicted on them. It's interesting to consider how this may change over time as girls continue to be more active and athletic...

    ReplyDelete