Monday, December 18, 2017

Extra Credit

       I thought that the diversity meeting was going to be a presentation, rather an involved campus activity. A bit nerve wrecking at first, but easy going in the end. Introduction were a little awkward, I almost skipped this part because I didn't have much on me that described who I am, so I chose my coffee and doughnut explaining my daily stop at kwik trip for caffeine and a snack, college life. To my surprise there were quite a few people who did not participate in the introductions, and even more in the activity discussion. Like most, I struggled with writing who I am, and who I am not. I had to ask myself what I wanted others to know about me. Do I want it to be personal? Or should I keep it simple? I am very open about myself and experiences, so the answer to that didn't take long, but it was WHAT I wanted to share. There wasn't much of a reaction between the people in my area that shared what they wrote. With this I felt that these individuals were open to whatever someone else said regardless, and accepting them as they are, or are not.
       I think the exercise brought up some valuable points within the group. One pointed that she felt it was easier to write what she isn't, which made sense. A lot of people want others to see them as they are, not what is perceived by images, so to make that clear could be easier for some. Another shared his area of residence and proceeded by stating he is not a hick. This was a great example of stereotyping and how they dont follow set rules because we are individuals, and images dont make us who we are. I pointed that the influence of friends and family can create social inequalities, and it is important to look past them; understand there's more to a person than what others say or think. Take a chance, step out of your comfort zone and sit with a new person in a class, get to know more people and learn from them. Media is another contributor of social stereotypes.
       Although the participating group didn't look like there was a lot of diversity, it was there. Culture, religion, socioeconomic class, educational status, etc. There is diversity in our history, background, upbringing, and more. The take away, is to be more accepting of others no matter where the differences are. 

1 comment:

  1. You raise an important point about how sometimes we miss diversity because we're looking for certain things we can SEE, even though diversity is so much more than that.

    ReplyDelete