Tuesday, December 5, 2017

The Feminist Praxis and My Life

Before taking this class, I was completely oblivious to the world of feminism and how it had an impact on my life. The only easy way to go about this is to take it step by step and say how it is in my life.

The construction of gender and my life:
I didn't really think that the construction of gender was a part of my life, but it is. From the time I was young, there were certain things that were expected of me since I was a girl, I was supposed to dress cute, and feminine, I was supposed to be a certain size, and if I wasn't I was ridiculed. Those are just a few things that revolve around the idea of what a "girl" should be like. I feel like if we raised our children without these ideas of what men and women act like, the world would be a better place.

Privilege and Oppression:
I never considered myself to be privileged or oppressed really, but I do in fact experience both of those things. I am privileged because I was born a Caucasian person, however I experience oppression because I am a child of divorce, and we are not a particularly rich family. Again, those are only a few ways in which privilege and oppression play a role in my life.

Both of these things show intersectionality in my life,  because they both intersect in my life and make me who I am.

1 comment:

  1. Do you still get those messages about femininity today?

    ReplyDelete