Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Feminist Praxis

I've found that through my day to day life, I noticed that I tend to be very wary of males, especially bigger or older guys, and subconsciously make note of them in places like the bus, when I'm walking down the sidewalk, or even people I don't know in the hallways on campus. On the contrary, I've also allowed them to get away with a few things; sometimes someone will occasionally take interest or try to flirt with me, albeit not in an overly creepy way. I've also noticed that I have a more timid or cutesy way of expressing myself and using body language. It might just be me, but it's interesting considering I'm a small person and also a girl, which means I can do those things without judgement. The boys also tend to be louder and more aggressive (no offense guys, just my experience with the everyday interactions I have around the people I'm with) and though I doubt it would make a huge difference if a female like that were to be in our group, it's also something noticeable. I can see a lot of gender and cultural norms play out in my everyday life, along with the underlying ingrained dominance (and fear) of men and masculinity.

1 comment:

  1. You raise interesting points about being a woman in public space. In whats does the social construction of gender contribute to these encounters? How are men benefitting and also damaged by these stereotypes?

    ReplyDelete