Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Intersectionality


A hobby I like to do a lot, is gaming, or playing different games in different consoles. I feel that when a woman plays games it's frowned upon for those who aren’t playing, while those who are, which in this case are mostly men, are excited to play with women. I feel that part of the reason why women are looked down upon is due to the fact that they are imaged to do house work, rather than sit down and play games. Depending on the game it looked down upon if you play, for an example most people expect women to play “soft” or girly games. If you see a woman who plays shooting games or sports games you perceive the women to be a tomboy. Men or boys get excited to play games with girls or women is because most of the time it’s boys on the other side of the game, and talking to girls while playing games is like every boys dream. Another thing that is frowned upon is when older men play games, and it’s because games are “supposed” to be for boys, or younger male.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, video games greatly favor guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you saying that that boys like playing games with girls. I enjoy playing Smite and anytime the people I play with notice that I'm a girl they always say I don't play like a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that even something like playing a simple game can be assigned to a single gender and age group. Why do you think the stigma for this was developed? Has this been the case of games since their creation, or do you think this is a new social construction?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You raise some interesting points here. How do the guys interact with women who play games? Is it respectful and as equals?

    ReplyDelete