Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Privilege and Oppression

    A public policy that has always been huge would be affordable health care. Health care is extremely expensive speaking personally, and based off of what I have seen in the news. With overwhelming prices, I believe that this public policy is privileged to the rich. This is interesting since health care and insurance is something that a lot of people are expected to have. Free healthcare is provided sometimes and if folks meet certain criteria, but I really dislike that that's the case. This woman on the told her story to the consumer reports link that I have below about how even when you do have health care, you still aren't always fully covered. Her name was Jocelyn and she had a rare heart problem. She underwent surgery and all though her health care coverage was supposed to cover it, she was billed for a fairly large amount. In this situation the poor are the group that is oppressed. There are many people that just don't have the means to afford healthcare and is out of reach when it shouldn't be.


https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/11/it-is-time-to-get-mad-about-the-outrageous-cost-of-health-care/index.htm

3 comments:

  1. I agree that affordable healthcare has always been a huge ongoing thing. It sucks that poor people would have to pay for their bills even with coverage when they probably don't even have the money for it. Like you said, affordable healthcare should be for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a few people who work for a Americollect, and it's been made a point that most of the debt needed to be collected is for medical bills. The cost of medications and procedures are extreme, where foreign countries can compare with a much lower expense. The policy now requires all individuals to carry some type of insurance, and the penalty for those who don't are fined. Last year I had about $500 taken my taxes. Within the year I couldn't afford insurance, I struggled without my inhaler, and thyroid medication, I when without birth control, and without glasses once mine were chewed up by the dog. Fortunately my medical needs were much less severe than others. But I think of those whose ill children cannot receive important medication, and care by physicians, as well as veterans, and chronic illness of anyone at any age being turned down the necessities of their survival, and this makes me sick. If we can help with contributions for medical tools and personal in other countries, we shouldn't have this problem hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you think access to healthcare seems to be connected to someone's socio-economic status? What are the core ideas behind this system that privileges those with more money?

    ReplyDelete