Thursday, November 9, 2017

Intersectionality

One of my favorite things to do is write. So I am going to get my associates in writing here, then go on to get my bachelors and masters and become an English professor, maybe an author one day (a girl can dream right?).

I guess a question that I take into consideration is how does my gender affect my career choice? Or does it even effect my career choice at all? Will I do well as a professor because I am a woman?

The majority of teacher in my life have been females, like myself, and when I narrow it down to the ones who taught me English, they have also all been females. I wonder if females do better in this field because it is a job that we as a society consider "feminine". I am also white, and will be well educated when the time comes for me to start my career as a teacher, thus putting me ahead of someone who was not as well educated.

Maybe being a female will put me ahead of a male who wants to go into the same field because we do not see that as the "norm", but I do not think that our sex should have anything to do with how well we succeed in our career choices.

5 comments:

  1. A big improvement in the writing world now is that women writers are taken more seriously and no longer have to write under a male alias, if they so choose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you made this personal and acknowledged that you do have an advantage in that work field. You, being a white-female-American does give you a better chance at pursing this job, however like you said, this "norm" of being a female teacher should not give you a better chance, only your academic achievement and skill should advance you in this career choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how you have had mostly female teachers. I've actually had a different experience and have had quite a few males teachers throughout my life (more in high school and middle school than elementary school). I do feel as though being a female does have an advantage in the teaching career cause the social construction of gender socializes women to be more nurturing, patient, and educators. For a side note, good luck on your potential writing career! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you. Almost all of my teachers have been female, and all of my English teachers have been female. I think being teacher is more of a "feminine" job since I don't see many male teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to think about why teachers and professors in some subjects are more likely to be one gender or the other--why do you think English is female-dominated?

    ReplyDelete