Friday, September 15, 2017

Feminist Stance

Feminism. . .

As I recall from the past, I don't believe I've ever been exposed to a feminist, truly understood what the word feminism means, and what feminist fights for. I've always heard the word be thrown around in social media but never got first hand experience to what and who they are. Honestly, I just knew they had a bad reputation; being seen as "angry, nasty, demanding" women complaining for their "rights" (by the way, these are not my ideas, just what I've heard of from social media). 

My new understanding is that they fight for gender equality and fight for women's "rights" such as no taxed tampons, equal pay, the right to vote, etc. Also, as I've gotten older, I never realized how many celebrities are fighting for these rights. This surprises me, because honestly I thought actresses just read a script and got paid, however opening my eyes, they use their name/reputation to help advocate for real world problems and not just in the movies. For example, who would've thought, Emma Watson; Hermione Granger, would've ever became the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, or Malala Yousafzai, the woman who went against all odds would've became the most well known Pakistani activist to fight for education.

My learning goals are to expand my understanding of what feminism means and to identify what some wrong things extreme feminist do that are against their morals. I also want to learn more about the history of where and who started it and how women are viewed in pop culture and how it is evolving. Also to see if whether or not all those protest and activist are working so that in sooner years to come, we'll all be able to see a difference in how women are treated in the future.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that it is quite amazing what actors and actresses can use their names to do, some for good and some for not, but as is the world. Until last semester I can say I really didn't know what a feminist was either but now that I do I can understand a bit more the social turmoil that it might cause some people. I can sit back and be proud of the way that at least how SOME feminist activists act when in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! There are so many good celebrities who use their name to do good and some who claim and act like they are activists fighting for a cause but it's all just an act. But, for the one's who actually do do something, it's great cause they are helping all of us in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to think about which celebrities embrace the ideas of feminism and which ones distance themselves from it. We will definitely discuss the connection between feminism and different standards of morality, which can be in conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a good point about celebrities using their fame to spread the word or to support a cause! More and more celebrities are doing that and it's great to see what they believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your thoughts! I also would have never thought that celebrities are fighting for what they feel is right! I feel that with the help of major women celebrities the words could spear faster than before.

    ReplyDelete