Friday, September 15, 2017

Feminist Stance

        I first heard about feminism in middle school, when I was a freshman. My mom and her girlfriend had an interesting discussion on feminism, and what it meant to be a feminist. Other than really hearing that discussion I haven't really heard too much about feminism. On the other hand, I am pretty up to date on social media, and will see posts from time to time about feminism, but it never really related to me, so I didn't really pay it no mind. Reading the first chapter in the threshold concepts really gave me a much better insight on feminism. The chapter talked about the world, and the feminist outlook on it, which I was really unfamiliar with. For example I didn't know the term feminist didn't originate in the United States, but in France in the late 1800's. While looking at many of the stereotypes for feminists, after reading the chapter I came to see that majority of them were false. Overall from the reading I learned that feminists main goal was really equality, and to empower women that may feel as though they can't do what a man can.

    For this class I guess my learning goals would be to gain more information regarding the feminist movement, and what areas the movement is most active in. In addition, I would like to really see more bias situations from a woman's perspective, and see the other side of things that I won't see being a boy.

    At this moment I do not have any lingering questions!


3 comments:

  1. I like how you have had a personal experience with feminism growing up. With you having that discussion with your mother. I see how you being a guy you think feminism does not relate to you. Since it has most likely not affected your day to day life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise an important point--that we often don't pay attention to things that we don't think relate to us. I'm curious if this chapter showed you any ways that feminism connects to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you explained how being a boy usually feminism doesn't really come up. It's interesting to get a boys perspective of the movement.

    ReplyDelete