Tuesday, September 19, 2017

FEMINIST

When I think about it, I feel as if the feminist movement today has much more exposure then it did years ago because people are letting those who don't support this movement hear their voices. This movement has grown so big that even celebrities are using their fame status to support this movement. Which I think is really cool, because it shows that they're more than just a famous figure. I also think that the internet (social media) has a major role in the exposure of the feminist movement. People can instantly see what's going on and I think that's why feminists always get viewed negatively. It sometimes may just capture the bad of what feminists are saying and in turn, people think of them badly. But at the same time, I think women have become more confident and more willing to speak out for what they believe in and what women deserve. I really didn't really hear about feminists until my senior year when other girls were talking about certain girls from another school making a big fuss about being feminists. I just thought that they were women who were just seeking attention and recognition. But now I realize that they're more than that. These women believe in equality and rights that will help us and our future children.

What kind of bothers me is that I don't know if they're calling themselves feminists just to call themselves that or if they really do believe in these values and ideas. It's hard to tell now a days if someone is faking it to get exposure or if they really do care.

My goal in this class to get more in depth about feminists and really understand what and why this is happening. If we will see change or will it stay the same.  I also what to go back in history and see how far we've come and what others before us had to do to get us to this point today.

3 comments:

  1. It really is hard to tell if someone is an actual feminist or just trying to get attention, especially when it comes to social media and how everything is so dramatic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with this blog. I believe that the media and the internet portray feminists and feminism in a negative way more than they portray the positive side. I too also think that it's important that other celebrities are using their fame to spread feminism

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raise an important question about why some people--particularly celebrities--call themselves feminist. Now that we know more of what it stands for, we might be better able to tell if they're sincere or doing it for the appearance of caring about these issues.

    ReplyDelete