Friday, September 15, 2017

Feminist Stance

My earliest exposure to feminism and feminists was when I was at my last college. It was when the restroom situation was just starting. Everyone was freaking out and not happy with the new rules. Since they did not like the fact you could go into any restroom that you choose.  Eventually the school put in an all gender restroom. A lot of the other students then were not complaining about the situation as much as before.
 With some additional researching, along with the first few classes and the first chapter of the book. I came to understand why the previous school decided to put in an all gender restroom. At first when it was announced I completely did not understand why the school decided to do that.

 I plan to get a better and fuller understanding of feminism in popular culture. Since I understand very little of it compared to others. In all the aspects that we will go over in class and in our class discussions. Along with getting the correct terms and getting a understanding of what they mean. 

 For lingering questions or points of concern. I am not sure what this class will all cover. But I  look forward to what will happen in this class. This will be my first experience in any class that is GSW course. . 

4 comments:

  1. I think it is very interesting that you brought up the whole bathroom debate. When I first heard about this, I honestly didn't understand what the big deal was. If a male wanted to define himself as a female and use a women's bathroom, then go for it. Now that I have taken a gender studies class before, I definitely do see why this was such a big debate. There is a lot of potential for other individuals to become extremely uncomfortable under these circumstances, and there is also the possibility of pedaphiles taking advantage of this. In the end, I do strongly agree with gender-neutral bathrooms and the good cause that they are for. Looking back at how feminism ties into this. I do think it would help women feel more safe with gender neutral bathrooms cause of all of the different bad things that could happen if we didn't provide that option. Lastly, my first experience with a GSW class was last year and I loved it! It was definitely interesting getting to learn about topics that aren't the "same old same old" stuff that we learn every single year in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the bathroom debate being an interesting point to make! I read a memoir of a transgender women's journey called Redefining Realness by Janet Mock. This book was very insightful when it came to the idea of gender identity and equality. Prostitution, sex reassignment surgery, and ridicule all faced when learning her true identity over time. This book makes questions like the bathroom debate being an important topic to be discussed. Who is uncomfortable is this situation? Not just the women who make it their business what the sexual identity is of the other person, but the other person who is forced to use the bathroom not fit to their identity. Can it be as simple as adding unisex or "family" restrooms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tricky thing to balance both safety and comfort. As a woman myself I can understand the initial fear about the misuse of letting trans females use female restrooms, because of the fear that I've been taught to have towards anyone biologically male. Guys are really intimidating for me.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the example from your previous school. Did the school explain its actions to the public and those at the school? That's such an important component with any kind of change.

    ReplyDelete