Friday, September 15, 2017

On to the feminist stance!!!


Blog #1

What are feminists and what do they stand for? Well a feminist is someone who supports the idea that all genders should have equity (which means that they may all start from different places but are raised to the same standard). The social construction of gender, which is the idea that certain genders have to act in certain ways, hinders the flow of equity to reach a place where we can all have equal opportunities. Feminists are not all female, and are not all gay or lesbian, but people from different lives and different backgrounds which should make it easier to come together and help each other reach our goals. Again though, there are things in our way, social “standards” that people are expected to meet. Feminists are open-minded and acceptant of change. There are many different ways in which anyone can support feminism, and I think being open-minded and being forward thinking in the ways that you do things in everyday life is the best way.

My personal goal for this semester is to create an even deeper understanding of the theories of feminism and the problems that keep feminism from moving forward. I want to take that knowledge and inspire people through writing stories that inspire people to be more equitable to everyone around them.

I want people to understand that everyone comes from a different place in their lives, and though they may put on a happy façade, they may not be. Please don’t assume things about the other people in the class, or even in general. I know we already talked about this in class, but I think that it is by far the most important thing when it comes to feeling comfortable with sharing thoughts feelings and other experiences with classmates.

5 comments:

  1. I like how you described feminists in a positive way, where some people see them as negative. Your goal of using the knowledge from this class to inspire and help others is awesome! I agree that not all feminists are women, gay, or lesbian, etc. Anyone could be a feminist and they have the right to be one if they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you opened with what a feminist is and what they stand for; I believe that those two things are what many of us had questions about, or our understanding of them where a little blurry. It also gives a general summary of what it is all about.
    I love that your goal is to inspire others, you want to shed a positive light on feminism, and encourage others to do so as well. Friggin awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that fact that you knew what a feminist is. I personally did not know that a feminist could be a man, I always thought that feminists were just women. Mainly due to the word being so close to feminine which is mostly used to describe women. I also agree with your statement about being open-minded towards feminism and everything in life. This "trait" I guess I will call it, will help us see different perspectives through others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is like your own personal knowledge and not just the textbook stuff right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You share a good reminder that making assumptions can cause a lot of issues. People are complex and what we choose to share is also complex!

    ReplyDelete