Friday, September 8, 2017

In Pipes The Pie-er (whoosh)

Soo I'm really not the best at writing formally when it comes to just speaking my mind and writing about how I feel, and I'm usually pretty casual about it since any type of blogging I've done before has just been interacting with friends, but I'll try my best to get the message across here while still maintaining at least a decent amount of formality, if such a thing is possible with me ahahh... So, that being said, it's time to get to the point of this entire thing. Welcome to the WPC blog of The Piped Pie-er, everyone. To start off, I'm on social media a lot, and I've sort of come to have a negative view of the use of the words "feminist", "privilege", "oppression", "patriarchy", and whatever else. There are a lot of people there just brimming with bs and honestly that's pretty much all you'll see online when it comes to any movement whatsoever, the feminist movement included.
Reading the first chapter of our book did give me some insight into how the movement began and the intentions of people who actually use the label as intended. Though, even if I am swayed, I don't think I'll be boasting about my feminist ways to anyone. I think you all know why. Anyhow, by the book's standards I suppose you could say I actually am a feminist, though without the label and enthusiasm that seems to come with it. I have a relatively pessimistic view of the world, and consequently I don't believe any of the current issues both women and men face today will be solved anytime soon, especially with all of the extremists that sour any good thing that has potential. Again, I think all of you know what I mean, if not about feminism itself then you can certainly relate it to one of the many other popular issues we all have the pleasure of hearing about constantly, such as race and religion. Now, I will say something that's probably important, my mom identifies as feminist, label and all, and is very expressive and motivated about it as well. I do have to say I agree with her on a lot of the things she says, and even when I don't entirely, it's safe to assume that in some sense or another there's truth to it, since she's very well educated and has no problem speaking up when she notices something that isn't right. I'd say my dad is the opposite, or at least I think he is, he's very conservative and orthodox, quite hypocritically religious and preachy, and also doesn't support lgbt rights. For many, many reasons, I don't really like him as a person or really want to be around him that much. Alright, I think that sums up pretty well my opinion, at least in a way that doesn't involve me rambling on and on about my past experiences. As for learning goals, honestly I don't really have any particular direction I want to go. I just thought the class sounded interesting and it fit my schedule pretty well so I went for it. I do think it'll be interesting to learn about the history of these movements and perhaps gain a new perspective with the knowledge. So I suppose you could consider that my goal. I'm open to anything else that happen to interest me though. My only questions or concerns would be conflict among the people in class I guess. I know everyone's pretty open and acknowledge that what happens in the classroom stays in the classroom but the possibility of judgement or worrisome extremist beliefs is still a bit concerning. I guess whatever happens, happens. I'll be honest, though I'm pretty timid and meek when you talk to me in person, I can be pretty confrontational and even aggressive in writing, so I apologize if I scare someone off, haha.. but yeah, I think all that pretty much sums up my thoughts with the prompt. Lemme know if you have any questions or anything, as far as this blog goes I'm aiming to be an open book. See you next blog, I suppose :P

6 comments:

  1. When you said that since you go on social media a lot, it made you see feminism negatively to some extent, and that's how it was for me too. That was also really the only way I was learning about it too was social media, which skewed by views in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, every person or post I've talked to/seen online always talks about feminism in a negative way. It's especially difficult when you have friends who constantly bash it

      Delete
    2. I too have had this frequent exposure to negative views on feminism while on social media platforms. This leaves the question of, "why?". Why does it seem that feminism is a movement that is portrayed with such negativity when it fights for something so positive? I feel the answer can partially be attributed to extremists. A prime example of this is how many Americans have been known to hate Muslims as a whole, when in reality the extremists are making a bad name for the group because they are often the ones in the spotlight. Now, please don't think I am by any means comparing these two groups in any way other than how and why they are represented the way they are, I know each issue is drastically different and they should not be compared. However, I can't think of any other reason why feminism is so poorly represented. What do you think might cause this negative portrayal?

      Delete
    3. I agree with you, and I think it's a combination of extremists going to social media to express their radical ideas and also the tendency of social media to focus on the extremists and nothing else, in the similar way that the news does, because it's what grabs people's attention and gets them talking. Kinda sad, really

      Delete
  2. You raise an important point about how feminism is portrayed on social media--who is creating this content? What is their purpose/motivation? I'm curious about what you see as some of the extreme feminist views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's everywhere, all you have to do is sit around on a social media site long enough and it'll pop up sooner or later. Either it's the whole "men are pigs" mentality thing or people who are way too ridiculous and like identify as an alien foxkin who wants to bang cats or some creepy garbo like that

      Delete